Tuesday 19 August 2008

Live Salad!



Today, I bought a living salad from the supermarket. I tried this once before, and it flopped worse than a Nicole Kidman movie. Dead within a day or two. But I thought I'd give it one more try. Well, it's still standing up straight almost twelve hours after arriving in my kitchen. But I'll keep an eye on it and report on its tenuous attempts at clining onto life. Check back to this blog to witness the ongoing, poignant struggle of a bunch of little plants fighting for their lives against the twin demons of inadequate sustenance and me putting them in a cheese and pickle bap from time to time. I'm not very good at keeping plants alive, but maybe the promise of cheap food will be a good incentive to try harder.



For those of us who live in garden-less flats with barely a window to show for it (I don't need your pity, really), salad still in its soil is a little piece of farming experience brought into your very home. OK, that's a bit much - it just seems more authentic and natural than those machined, air-tight salad bags they sell in their millions every day, which wilt and sag the minute the polythene bubble is burst. I hope it lasts. Watch this space...

1 comment:

tuesy said...

Wow good macro shot! I wonder how we can put your photos to the slideshow on the right bar?

xx