Monday 11 August 2008

Duck!

In the absence of full introductions, I should probably explain who we are. We are united by a passion for food. Maybe "passion" is a bit strong. We're not experts, but we like to have a go in the kitchen. Tuesy is a bit more vegetarian than I am, but I have been eating a lot less meat since we met. We both eat seafood whenever we get the chance. There won't be too many fancy recipes and, particularly in my case, a lot of this stuff is a bit "experimental".
For instance, tonight I had duck for dinner. I had a couple of breast in the fridge, and no recipe book to hand. Time to improvise. I mixed some soy sauce, runny honey and wholegrain mustard (optional) in a bowl and dunked the duck into it. You can also roll the duck around in a bit of flour first if you like. I have no idea what this does (told you I wasn't an expert), but it might help the marinade to stick to the meat. Maybe.
Throw the duck into a frying pan and cook on both sides for as long as you like. I like mine to be a bit pink in the middle, and crispy on the outside. Some may be scared by too much poultry pinkness, though. If you prick the skin before you fry, it'll cook in its own juices. Because I can't be bothered washing up extra pans, I took the liberty of chucking in some courgettes and red pepper to cook in the same trickles, but you might find that repulsive. Steam some veg to eat with it if you prefer. It'll get very fatty in that pan. Sometimes I soak it up with some kitchen roll or just tip it away. You don't want it to get too greasy before you eat.
Hey, I'm a beginner. But this tasted great, took about twenty minutes to prepare, and I've got some left over for tomorrow. It looked like this:

2 comments:

tuesy said...

honey, can you make something i can eat?! :-p

Puppetmister said...

I'll do that in my next post. I'll make you something nice this weekend. Then blog about it.